Belacan Fried Chicken is one of the Malaysian national cuisines, and it is not difficult to find it at hawker food centres. The spice of this dish can be changed to cater to various taste buds. But no matter what spice is added, it will be inseparable from the most important seasoning - Belacan (Shrimp Paste). Let check out the recipe!
Ingredients - For Marinade
- 300 grams mid-joint chicken wings (or drummettes)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp prawn paste
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger juice grate some ginger & squeeze the pulp
- 1/2 tsp water
Note:For best results, marinate the chicken wings overnight in the fridge for the chicken to fully absorb the marinade.
- In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients until a paste is formed.
- Marinade the chicken with the sauce for at least an hour or preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Before frying it, coat the marinade chicken with cornflour. Stir to coat evenly, shaking off excess flour on the chicken.
- Preheat Enhans air fryer at 180°C for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly brush chicken pieces with some cooking oil.
- Arrange chicken one layer on the fryer basket and slide the basket into the air fryer.
- Set timer and air fry for 8 minutes. Pull out the tray, use tongs to turn chicken pieces over, and set the timer for another 7 minutes.
- Drain cooked chicken on paper towels before serving.